11.19.2005

On Notes and Errata and Reckless Behavior...
I have been bicycling a lot and so last night, I stayed up to watch the 11:00 pm news on television and to stretch my calves and hamstrings before bed. The late night television news comes to us from Los Angeles and so is always full of bizarre information. Yet, seeing our federal representatives in an unruly and unbecoming tussle on the floor of the House yesterday was deeply disturbing. Is this where the past five years have taken the United States as a country?

And then, this morning, I read
this feature in the San Francisco Chronicle…

Though I enjoy his
column regularly, sometimes the tone of Mark Morford’s articles has troubled me. His rhetoric has seemed a bit reckless, over the top and perhaps extreme at times. Yet, as someone who is fond of a lopsided and energetic rant, I easily relate to his work and find it amusing, deeply truthful and spot on. Often, I will admit, the tone is secretly comforting. After all, it feels almost desperate: somebody has to say something about the present condition of our country and its' politics before there is a decline beyond the point of recognition and retrieval.

Although lately, I have to wonder: are we now living in a time when recklessness and excessiveness are essential? Are things so completely out of kilter that a reasonable return to balance will require a sharp turn (to the left)?

Kudos to Murtha, to Kerry and to Morford! I so respect and admire your great courage...
We need you.


…………………………………………………………………………

Wordsmith at Griffonage Studios: texting solutions for a broad range of business, online and academic needs.

No comments: