6.08.2007



She’s Gone

Falling…
So the other day as I sat working silently at my desk, which overlooks a lovely view of the Catalina Mountains and a pretty, open desert space on our property, I saw that something was amiss. The towering stalk of our magnificent century plant had fallen toward the road and away from the house. The end had come... she had quietly lain down, pulling her entire base and shallow roots along in a simple unit. Now one neat, nice piece, a splendid horizontal extension of the unique plant life which develops so wondrously in the severe conditions of the Sonoran Desert, reminding me of the fragile sugar pines of the northwest forests which go down easily when they become too tall to hold up the weight of their own bodies.

Examining…
And so I learned that a century plant does indeed expire after it blooms। This lovely giant gave her last best burst almost upon my arrival in the desert and then elegantly fell to her final rest, literally on my doorstep.

In her death and silence, I took advantage of the opportunity to see her at close range; quietly walked around her fallen corpse to examine those glorious extensions, fascinating skin and thick, waxy blossoms. It was an astonishing chance for observation. While inspecting this giant goddess, the trusty Canon miraculously found its’ way into my hands and the camera automatically began to snap; thus a gift of many dramatic images.

Reflecting…
Later, as I paged through the hundreds of photographs taken of the recently fallen agave, my thoughts wandered to the many endings recently experienced in my own world; of the culmination of relationships and loss of loved ones, the departure of beloved places and abandonment of things, changes in the direction of life, of lengthy and intertwined paths now arriving at crossroads. So many things to ponder and to evaluate as I move into this next and uncharted phase of life; a parallel series of episodes runs slowly through my mind as I celebrate/contemplate the death of this gorgeous creature who has lived with me only eight months. And now?
Perhaps a Meyer lemon tree will go nicely in the space which she has vacated.









..........................................................

Wordsmith at Griffonage Studios offers an array of services for project presentations, design and marketing as well as other unique ventures. Consult us today.

..........................................................




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have been waiting and now we know... oh so sorry and yet lemons are very nice

Anonymous said...

The fotos are all wonderful. I like your work. This blog is really great.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy ur writing, my dear. Keep sending these to me...

Anonymous said...

That thing must have been huge.

Anonymous said...

a beautiful plant and your beautiful thoughts

Anonymous said...

I lived in the desert for a long time and enjoyed the various flora - so ususal and interesting. Also enjoy your take on this event. Quite introspective. Good work.